The 2015 MBA International Case Competition and Sustainability
Sustainability is an integral part of the John Molson School of Business (JMSB) brand. The Corporate Knights ranked the school’s JMSB MBA as the second Greenest MBA program in the world; Canadian Business ranked it fourth in Canada and quoted Social Responsibility as “key to the program”. Because the John Molson MBA‐ICC is the largest event of JMSB, it is crucial that it reflects the school’s dedication to sustainability.
Global Connections – Sustainable Future
This year, we have incorporated sustainability into the core concept of the event. The theme Global Connections – Sustainable Future reflects an increased focus on sustainability and deeper involvement of each and every member of the organizing team and participating stakeholders. The following initiatives would not only reflect our sustainable theme, but ultimately drive the message across that the purpose of a firm is not just to enrich investors or shareholders, but to operate as a social venture that serves the interests and purposes of multiple communities and that working together as producers, employees and investors will make everybody better off.
- Transportation – All electric, zero emission vehicles will ferry participants from the airport to the hotel in collaboration with Sun Country Highway
- Hotel – Our venue, the Queen Elizabeth Hotel, is one of the “greenest” hotels in Montreal
- Food – Serving organic vegetarian, locally sourced food and beverages as much as possible during the competition and composting all organic waste
- Events – These are held at a walking-distance from the hotel, no carbon emissions from transportation all week long! We are working with hosts to increase the environmental aspects of each event
- Communications – Only recycled paper will be used for 100% of printing, and whenever possible printing will be replaced by soft copies of documents. The implementation of the new IT system has significantly decreased paper usage last year and we plan to keep the same trend in 2015
- R4 Dishes – Renting reusable dishes and cutlery for use at the hospitality suite in partnership with Concordia’s dish rental program